DVB-C Tuner Problem or Incompatibility?

TVMosaic live and recorded TV products for Desktop/NAS/Raspbery Pi
vagabund

DVB-C Tuner Problem or Incompatibility?

Post by vagabund » Fri May 15, 2020 7:20 am

Hi all,

I have been feeling for months with my hardware configuration problems with image disturbances which do not always occur. What I have done to get to the bottom of this problem I don't want to list, because this would be too extensive. After running the TV-Mosaic Server and before that the DVBLink Server for years, I have only now noticed the monitoring function. Here the problem seems to become visible.
My configuration looks like this:
TV-Mosaic Server on RaspberryPi 4 (4GB) with Raspbian
Tuner 1 TV butler
Tuner 2 Hauppauge WinTVHD Dual with Linux firmware https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/ ... 40:0265.29
Router FritzBox 7580
Client AppleTV4k/iPhone/iPad
SW TV-Mosaic Client or MrMC
Ethernet connection

What did I find:
When I only watch TV (1 client), Tuner 1 always activates first, where no problems are detected. Signal strength and signal quality look very good.
When the second tuner or even the third one becomes active, the problems start. Here you will see strange signal strength, sometimes little or nothing at all, but the quality is good. TV is also visible, but sometimes with artifacts on all clients. A change of the cables, or just running the tuner 2 does not bring any improvement.

Is there a defect in Tuner 2, or is Linux compatibility not guaranteed after all? What do you think? Attached two pictures with the monitoring of the tuners.

Greeting
Attachments
tvmosaic_monitoring_a.jpg
tvmosaic_monitoring_a.jpg (74.42 KiB) Viewed 156 times

Plantje

Re: DVB-C Tuner Problem or Incompatibility?

Post by Plantje » Fri May 15, 2020 8:02 am

How do you split the cable signal? What happens if you just switch the tuners? With switching I mean: connect the TV Butler to the TV Hauppage cable and the other way around. Without changing anything else. Perhaps your splitter is malfunctioning.

If the issue still occurs, I would blame the tuner.

Is this on encrypted channels? Or non-encrypted? And if on encrypted, do you see the same on non-encrypted?

vagabund

Post by vagabund » Fri May 15, 2020 9:06 am

I’m using a 1to3 switch. I have tried all three connections, unfortunately without any change in the signal quality. OK if I connect the tuner 2 directly without the switch, the damping is a bit lower but does not help to solve the problem.

Plantje

Post by Plantje » Fri May 15, 2020 9:19 am

And have you also tried connecting tuner A to the end of the cable running to tuner B? And the other way around.

Guess you did... I would suspect the tuner.

Be advised that if you start looking for a different tuner: HD Homerun currently has a quad tuner for about $ 149,- (which will most likely turn out to be € 149,-) And they have a 4K quad tuner on kick starter that sells for $ 199,-

vagabund

Post by vagabund » Sat May 16, 2020 8:18 am

I have tested a little bit more. If only the WinTV tuner is plugged into the RaspberryPi, and I'm recording and watching another channel live at the same time, there will be video digital artifacts on both tuners when I change the live channel. If I reproduce this on my Windows computer (TVMosaic Server on the Windows computer), then I have no problems. It seems to me that the Linux firmware for the Hauppauge tuner is the problem, or generally the usage under Linux.

Plantje

Post by Plantje » Sat May 16, 2020 10:50 am

That would be possible, of course.