Tv mosaic still alive?

TVMosaic live and recorded TV products for Desktop/NAS/Raspbery Pi
klosz007

Re: Tv mosaic still alive?

Post by klosz007 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:20 pm

Hi,

I was having stability issues with DVBViewer running on Windows with different DVB-C USB tuners for a long time (TBS 5881, Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD). I couldn't resolve them (support stopped responding when they heard about OSCAM - my cable TV is scrambled but there's very little DVB-C USB tuners with CI slot) so I was looking at alternatives.

I wasn't happy with TVH on Linux at all. Weird issues, stupid bugs, very little support on their forum. Website not updated for a long time. I dropped TVH idea very quickly.

I was then evaluating TV Mosaic, after the last official release was made available for downloads (no new official ones ever since). It didn't want to work with Hauppauge WinTV-DualHD so I received an unofficial newer version (so there was still some support at that time) which fixed the compatibility issue. Then I found some more issues and TV Mosaic support replied they're aware of these but no ETA for a fix. Somehow I had bad feelings about this product already so I luckily haven't decided to buy a license. To me it seems like a dead product now so it was a good choice.

Eventually I came across a colleague who's a fan of watching SAT TV on Enigma2/Linux tuners. He told me how to conifgure everything (incl. OSCAM), wasn't that difficult after all (but obviously you need some Linux knowledge).
So I bought myself a Vu+ Duo 4K with FBC DVB-C tuner and now I'm super happy... It does everything that I need, is super-stable, frequent weekly updates (I run OpenPLi, not VTi). Massive number of support forums (which I didn't need to use/seek for help because everything works as expected)... I can record up to 8 channels in parallel (unthinkable with previous solutions; in fact I rarely need to record/watch more than two in parallel). There are Enigma2 dedicated apps for Android/iOS, it integrates with Kodi if you need. Just everything I needed for so long in one device.

It wasn't cheap device (actually Vu+ together with DreamBox are the most expensive LInux receivers) but after I had sold all the HW that I was using to watch TV on Windows (Intel NUC, RAM, SSD, USB tuners), cost turned out to be zero for me.

You don't have to but expensive Vu+ devices, there are cheaper options. In fact initially I had GigaBlue UE 4K tuner (cable version) but there were some issues with it so I returned it and bough Vu+.

And that's my advice to all of you. Go buy yourself Enigma2 receiver which is supported by one of the leading Enigma2 distributions (VTi, OpenPLi, OpenATV etc.) and forget all other solutions. You'll just discover a better world. I only regret that I spoke to that colleague that late, after years of fighting with unstable DVBViewer.

Plantje

Post by Plantje » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:09 pm

klosz007 wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:20 pm
I was then evaluating TV Mosaic, after the last official release was made available for downloads (no new official ones ever since). It didn't want to work with Hauppauge WinTV-DualHD so I received an unofficial newer version (so there was still some support at that time) which fixed the compatibility issue. Then I found some more issues and TV Mosaic support replied they're aware of these but no ETA for a fix. Somehow I had bad feelings about this product already so I luckily haven't decided to buy a license. To me it seems like a dead product now so it was a good choice.
Thanks for sharing what your solution is.

Still: I have no issues with the current functions of TV Mosaic. There is one feature that I would like to see added (password protect specific channels), but I can live without it.
If it continues to work like it does now, I am happy with the purchase.

klosz007

Post by klosz007 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:06 pm

If it does what you need then no need to change certainly.

Personally I find DVBViewer most advanced software for TV viewing on Windows, more than than TVMosaic. But I was never able to make it 100% reliable. Possibly it was partial fault of the tuners (or even CAM module) but I have to look at a solution as a whole.
Neither TV Mosaic was sufficiently reliable for me (when I was trying to evaluate it). TV Mosaic's big advantage was its multiplatofrm capability (NAS, RPi), that other Windows products (DVBViewer, DVBDream) just do not offer.

TVH would be good (for Linux fans) if not a bit too complicated to configure/operate and most of all, if it wasn't as buggy as it was for me (most issues were related to EPG). There are of course other solutions for Linux but they have their issues too.
If you're looking for reliable alternatives to all of the the above, perosnally I just see not better option today than Enigma2 Linux receivers. This has huge user base, large support forums, good support form hardware manufacturers (at least these big ones) etc. Certainly, this is developed mostly for SAT reception but cable technology benefits from this in parallel.

It's just too bad that TV Mosaic is in fact defunct now and they're still trying to sell more licenses. Product should be made completely free (and fully functional without license) if owner is no longer going to develop/support it, that just my opinion. Or at least sales of paid licenses should be stopped immediately. Currently it looks like they're only trying to milk more money from people who decide to buy a license without being aware that product support/development has effectively went defunct.

gompf

Post by gompf » Sat May 16, 2020 3:45 am

AC1 wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:53 am
I admire your determination but I think there is an easier solution (which also consumes less resources)

Install Docker Desktop on Windows
https://docs.docker.com/docker-for-windows/install
Quite discussion that started here :) Anyway I doubt with docker you can actually get the Hardware Transcoding done using the (WINDOWS!) Graphics card. This is the key part why i went the WSL1 way (Docker is the WSL2/Hyper-V way if I understand it correctly, will see how WSL2 works in the future, i have no mood for insider builds at the moment ;) ), the integration between windows and Linux in WSL is pretty amazing and powerful i must say.

Regarding the use of Hardware Tuners, this will not work on the same machine as you would not be able to pass the tuners.

HDHomeRun (tested) works, as well as any SAT>IP Server

Personally , I have a 24 tuner Kathrein SAT>IP Server and Minisat>IP for DVB-C and DVB-T2.

/Gompf

gompf

Post by gompf » Sat May 16, 2020 3:54 am

Plantje wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:15 am
AC1 wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:53 am
gompf wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:28 am
for those running Windows and are fit, there is a pretty good and neat and open source solution! I managed to get this setup to run ON Windows 10... It was quite a bit of effort to get this to run
I admire your determination but I think there is an easier solution (which also consumes less resources)

Why fix something that is not broken?

Well Try using SAT>IP Servers (maybe with more tuners), you'll see how broken it is, and not only in one platform, but all, even Android. I posted it here inclusive logs, long ago (https://forum.tv-mosaic.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1290). It's a solid crash, so not a nice thing, and a showstopper for me for sure, and maybe to others, that's why I posted an alternative.

If it is not broken for you, you can happily continue to use it ;)

/Gompf

Plantje

Post by Plantje » Sun May 17, 2020 7:21 pm

klosz007 wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:06 pm
It's just too bad that TV Mosaic is in fact defunct now and they're still trying to sell more licenses. Product should be made completely free (and fully functional without license) if owner is no longer going to develop/support it, that just my opinion. Or at least sales of paid licenses should be stopped immediately. Currently it looks like they're only trying to milk more money from people who decide to buy a license without being aware that product support/development has effectively went defunct.
You know what might be a good development? If TV Mosaic were bought by HD Homerun! Free of use for HD Homerun customers and perhaps a nice acceptable paid license for other users.