Help with transcoding profile - ffmpg expertise needed

TVMosaic live and recorded TV products for Desktop/NAS/Raspbery Pi
Traxx

Help with transcoding profile - ffmpg expertise needed

Post by Traxx » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:10 pm

Hi All,

as the machine running tvmosaic server is not very powerful I wanted to create my own transcoding profile as all the available ones only do deinterlacing, rezising etc. which I don't need.
* server is running on a Intel j4105 which is capable of at least some hw accelerated encoding,
* client is Kodi with the TV-Mosiac Plugin on a Nvidia Shield (Powerful enough to deinterlace and decode everything)

I would need a profile that does only this:
* Compress the input so that it doesn't exceed 9-10 Mbps (remote client has a bad connection)
* I don't know which output codex is best but it should be something that is either hardware accelerated on the server or encodes via software with little computing power. The HD input is mostly h.264 DVB-S content, either 720p, 720i or 1080i.
* The video size should be kept, interlaced input can stay that way.
* The bitrate setting in the client should be ignored.

* The most important point: all SD content shouldn't be transcoded at all, this works perfectly with transcoding disabled as the bandwith is sufficient enough for that.

-------------------
I understood how the profiles work, how to create new ones and how to translate a ffmpg command into the XML structure used.
I'm just not that into the vast possibilities ffmpg offers so I hope someone here is willing to help :-)
Thanks in advance!

Oberon

Re: Help with transcoding profile - ffmpg expertise needed

Post by Oberon » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:36 pm

I think that here you can find answers to your questions:
https://wiki.tv-mosaic.com/index.php/Transcoding

Traxx

Re: Help with transcoding profile - ffmpg expertise needed

Post by Traxx » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:46 pm

@Oberon: Thanks, but this wiki entry is about the tvmosaic-part which I know how (because you guys do really good and transparent file based programming), its ffmpg itself I need help with. Sure, I could read everyting about the parameters and have the solution within a weekend but I don't that much time at the moment...

So I thought here might be someone wo translates my demands into a ffmpg command line or maybe has even written a XML for a similar use case. :)