Timeshift fundamentals

Post here your ideas on how to make TVMosaic product better
BartZorn

Timeshift fundamentals

Post by BartZorn » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:41 am

<t>Hello,<br/>
<br/>
I have been struggling for years now with timeshifting. I have used Argus, DVBlink and now TVMosaic. The one thing they have in common is the way timeshifting is implemented. For reasons that escape me, timeshifting is implemented in a totally different way than plain recording.<br/>
<br/>
For timeshifting it is necessary to have a fixed amount of storage space, which is used in a circular way. This means that there is a maximum amount of time that you can shift back. If you exceed that maximum, then a big part of your show is lost.<br/>
Another thing is, that when more than one client is watching a certain channel, each client gets its own timeshift buffer. Iy would be nice if a timeshift buffer could be shared between clients. In that way, I can start a show, which is overlapped by another show on an other channel, on my laptop. When the other show is finished, I can switch channels and timeshift back to the beginning of the show. But not in the way it is implemented now. <br/>
<br/>
So I would like to know: why is timeshifting so much different from recording?<br/>
<br/>
TIA<br/>
<br/>
Bart</t>
TVMosaic 1.0.0
Digital Devices Cine S2 V7 with DuoFlex CI
DeltaCam Twin CAM with CanalDigitaal smartcard
Kodi 18.4 with DVBlink PVR client V 4.7.2
Core i3-7100, 8 GB