best choise linux or windows

TVMosaic live and recorded TV products for Desktop/NAS/Raspbery Pi
vatman

best choise linux or windows

Post by vatman » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:10 pm

hi i need your opinion i have tested tvmosaic on windows and linux i find some lag on linux is that for all? so is better on windows i find more stable, is taht true ? what is your opinion befor i buy the software i need your help,thanks.tested on win 10 and ubuntu 16.4 lts. regards

Maverickz

Re: best choise linux or windows

Post by Maverickz » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:49 pm

It sounds to me like you have your answer based on your own testing on your own hardware.

Personally I run the TVM server on Windows but run the clients on Android based boxes (FireTV Boxes and an NVidia Shield). Really though I would imagine that performance would have more to do with what hardware you have in the box than the OS, but since I haven't tried running TVM on Linux (my Linux boxes use older hardware) I cannot say for sure.

vagabund

Re: best choise linux or windows

Post by vagabund » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:03 am

I'm using the TV-mosaic server on a RaspberryPi, and clients are
- Nvidia Shield TV (Kodi 18) - working without problems (per LAN)
- iPad Pro with TV-mosaic app - sometimes a laggy channel overview but a good TV streaming (per Wifi)
- iPhone with TV-mosaic app - sometimes a laggy channel overview but a good TV streaming (per Wifi)
- Windows 10 Pro with TV-mosaic app - in safe mode a bit stuttering TV and app GUI with higher resolutions (4K display GPU Intel HD630 not fully in use, per Wifi)
- Windows 10 Pro with TV-mosaic app - in normal mode a fluid TV stream and app GUI with higher resolutions (4K display GPU Intel HD630 not fully in use, per Wifi)
- Ubuntu 18.04 with TV-mosaic app - a fluid TV stream and app GUI with higher resolutions (4K display GPU Intel HD630 not fully in use, per Wifi)

I would say Linux is a good choice to use it as client, and server (only experience with a RasperryPi). I use TVmosaic-server on my RasperryPI (Raspian light) 24/7 with 3 DVB-C USB-stick since many month without problems. Three HD records at the same time, no problem. The Ubuntu app with the possibility to configure the server works also very stable.