How to add data to EPG?

TVMosaic live and recorded TV products for Desktop/NAS/Raspbery Pi
Jantje

How to add data to EPG?

Post by Jantje » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:21 am

I want to enrich the standard EPG data which is sent by my provider in the DVBC signal, for example with the IMDB rating of a movie.
Is there a way that I can add metadata to the standard EPG source? Can I use the API or can I use an extra EPG (XML) source? In the later case: how can I link/merge the data from both EPG sources? I don't want to replace but I want to keep the standaard EPG data, and enrich/extend with my own data.

Or is there a way to disable standard EPG from DVBC, use the API to get this EPG data, enrich it, write it to a XML file and use that as the primary XML source?

BubbleBobble

Re: How to add data to EPG?

Post by BubbleBobble » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:20 pm

I'd say it depends. It depends on your equipment used and how open it is to changes. For example I have a DVB-T2 box using Linux where the EPG data is only a text file. So potentially I could log on to it and replace the file with whatever I want. Then I guess different devices support EPG implementations different from device to device, so what works in one case may not work on another device.

Jantje

Post by Jantje » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:28 pm

tv mosaic already reads and uses the epg data from dvbc signal. I want to reuse and add on to this info. Tv mosaic has an api which i already use for other stuff i made. So the question is can i use the api to inject my own epg data to extend the existing epg data? Other solution would be to only read all the epg with the api, add to it, write to an xml file and let tv mosaic use only that one. I know its possible to add multiple xml epg sources but in that case how can i disable the standard epg and let tvmosaic only use my xml source? Or I could just write a small xml epg source file with for example imdb rating for movies but how can I link/merge it with the default epg sourcefrom the dvbc signal which tvmosaic already uses?

Maverickz

Post by Maverickz » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:39 am

AFAIK there is no way to do this with TVM either through the interface or the API. Since you know C# though, it would be possible to use a free EPG service to get the bulk of the EPG data in XMLTV format (you can use zap2xml with a FREE zap2it or FREE tvGuide account and I can provide instructions for this if needed) then write a program to scrape whatever additional details you want from other internet sites (such as IMDB) and add it to the xml file. Then have TVM just use this file as the only source for all EPG data.

One more thing to note, XMLTV has a specific format, so you can't just add a field for say <imdb> and have it read and displayed in TVM or other EPG visual guides. You will probably have to append these extra details to the <desc> field.

Good luck.