Smart TV app

Post here your ideas on how to make TVMosaic product better
JBX077

Smart TV app

Post by JBX077 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:06 am

Are you planning to build smart TV client apps for LG or Samsung?
This would eliminate the need for another box connected to the TV.
I mean, it is a TV app and the only thing it doesn't work on is a TV.

Maverickz

Re: Smart TV app

Post by Maverickz » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:16 pm

I am in no way employed by or affiliated with TV Mosaic so do NOT consider this an "official" answer, but my GUESS would be no.

The reason is Samsung and LG use totally custom Operating Systems for their TV's (which is why I don't buy them no matter the price or how good the picture looks). Samsung uses an OS called Tizen which is based on Linux but has been highly customized. So to make a remote compatible version for this would be a whole new version. Now, it MIGHT be possible for you to get the full Linux version to work on a Samsung but it could take some work. I don't know for sure because I have never used a Samsung TV. Of course if you do manage to get it installed it would be the full Linux version and not optimized for use with a remote control so you might need some sort of air mouse.

LG uses WebOS (which was once Palm OS until HP bought it and released it as Open Source) this was a ground up OS build and would probably require a complete or near complete rewrite of the TVM code to work here. WebOS apps use Javascript with the Enyo framework so the Devs would probably have a learning curve with this framework. I have used Enyo and while it's not particularly difficult, it is different.

Bottom line, creating apps just for Samsung and LG would probably require two additional and completely different code bases the Devs would have to support and maintain, adding a LOT of work for probably very little gain on their part. Of course the decision will be up to the actual developers of TVM but I wouldn't hold my breath.