Recordings stopping too early, incorrect duration reported in file info

TVMosaic live and recorded TV products for Desktop/NAS/Raspbery Pi
dupuron

Re: Recordings stopping too early, incorrect duration reported in file info

Post by dupuron » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:59 pm

No zero byte recordings yet, but a few have been broken off. Like this one.
20190106-brokenoff_recording.jpg
log file
20190106-brokenoff_recording.jpg (39.12 KiB) Viewed 384 times
The log file shows that the thumbnail generation (writing of?) fails at 09:31.

Code: Select all

2019-Jan-06 09:31:32:   [E] active_recording: Generated thumbnail for (168-14439390448224094940-1546763400) is invalid and deleted
So the improved performance of ext4 might help somewhat. But please, do fix this!
Attachments
tvmosaic_server-20190106.zip
(11.06 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
tvmosaic_server-20190106.zip
(11.06 KiB) Downloaded 5 times

dupuron

Post by dupuron » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:20 am

And zero byte recordings again.
20190111-zerobytes.jpg
20190111-zerobytes.jpg (43.25 KiB) Viewed 365 times

danielw

Post by danielw » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:22 pm

Oberon wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:37 am
danielw wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:28 pm
i am in contact with customer support regarding this issue. They had advised me to update the firmware of the HDHomerun tuner, which i did. This did not solve the issue.
Next up is to investigate if it has something to do with power managment. Still investigating that.
I have not seen in the log files anything suspicions, unfortunately. It just looks like HDHomeRun stops sending stream at a certain random point in time.
Do you have any other devices on the network, which talk to hdhr directly - like native hdhr player on a mobile - and may interfere with the ongoing streaming?
Have you observed the situations when tvmosaic live tv stops suddenly?
Sorry for the late reply.

Changing power managment did not solve the issue unfortunately.

I don''t watch live tv over TVmosaic, so I wouldn;t know if there were any interruptions there. Signal on my television does not show any obvious interruptions. I don't have other programs accessing the HDHomerun. Possibly my former DVBLink installation that I don;t want to uninstall yet given my experience with tvmosaic so far. I have, however, disabled DVBLink from getting any EPG data, nor are there any recording schedules left. So I think it is not doing anything.

I never had this issue with DVBlink(*). The only thing changed was the upgrade from dvblink to tvmosaic.

Could it be that tvmosaic is somehow less robust against interruptions of the stream than dvblink was? Maybe there is some interruption in the stream or network (no idea how to diagnose that), the stream gets interrupted, and tvmosaic gives up, while dvblink was able to continue after that?

I have posted another log file and screen shot of my recordings directory in the support system. With some explanation. After monitoring for some time, I see two issues:
- Some 'zero byte' and some very small files recordings, consistent with the original issue-
- When two consecutive programs are recorded on the same channel, there is some time where two recordings run in parallel. After the 'first' recording is finished, it stops both (while the second should continue).

(*) There were some 0-byte recordings, but that was usually after Ziggo changed something in their signal. IN that case, the channel setup was no longer correct. In that case, live-tv over dvblink would show a black screen.
Last edited by danielw on Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

danielw

Post by danielw » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:26 pm

dupuron wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:51 pm
Indeed,the log does not show any relevant errors or info. It seems to me that TVMosaic is not detecting it when nothing is being written to the underlying storage. I don't think HDHomerun stops sending the stream, Tuner Status can be checked in its web-interface.

Right after this posted incident I decided to migrate the TVMosaic app on my Synology device to a different file system. It was using btrfs but I created a dedicated ext4 volume for it now. Ext4 is said to be better performing than btrfs. Hopefully the difference will be enough to avoid these failed recordings. So far all recordings (about 10 in two days) are fine.

Sorry, Daniel, for hijacking your thread here a bit with these Linux-specific terms. What kind of storage is your PC using? Could you perform a test on a fast SSD?
I am using a windows pc with an old-fashioned HDD in it (WD red 3T I think). If cannot test on ssd unfortunately.

dupuron

Post by dupuron » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:48 pm

Don't bother, I think I have found the culprit. It has nothing to do with IOPS.

I have reported my findings to the DVBLogic Support Team and am awaiting their answer.