Signal strength/quality - What is good enough?

TVMosaic live and recorded TV products for Desktop/NAS/Raspbery Pi
vagabund

Signal strength/quality - What is good enough?

Post by vagabund » Mon May 18, 2020 5:47 pm

Hi all,

I have here an ongoing problem with the reception of some channels. I have very often digital artifact or a stop of the video with one tuner. I'm using on my RaspberryPi two USB DVB-C tuners with TV-Mosaic server. In order to rule out other causes, each tuner was directly connected with different cables.
1. DVBLogic TVButler DVB-C/T/T2 (100TC)
2. Hauppauge WinTV HD Dual (Silicon Labs Si2168)

If I activate the monitoring of the tuners I can see diverent values of the signal strength/quality with the same channel. I'm using the German provider Vodafone Kabelfernsehen and have these different results:
1. Das Erste HD - DVBLogic TVButler DVB-C/T/T2 (100TC) - Strength 100% / Quality 83%
2. Das Erste HD - Hauppauge WinTV HD Dual (Tuner 1) - Strength 52% / Quality 92%
2. Das Erste HD - Hauppauge WinTV HD Dual (Tuner 2) - Strength 0% / Quality 92%
It seems the most problems are visible with the Tuner 1 of the Hauppauge tuner.
The question is now, is the Hauppauge tuner defect, or is the signal quality too bad. In the second case it would be necessary to have a technician come. By the way, the channel Das Erste HD is one of the better channel in quality. I have in mind that the signal strength is not so important, but the quality should have 100%. Another question is, do anybody have the same tuners running and can send me the quality results? Many thanks in advance.

Michael

Plantje

Re: Signal strength/quality - What is good enough?

Post by Plantje » Mon May 18, 2020 8:49 pm

What is very strange is, that there is a strength difference between the two Hauppauge tuners. There is one cable going into one device, right?

vagabund

Post by vagabund » Tue May 19, 2020 4:29 am

Ja, only one antenna cable needed in the Hauppauge device https://hauppauge.com/pages/webstore2/w ... _euro.html .
It is also very interesting that the signal strength goes on and off but the TV is running with e.g. 90% Quality. With the TV-Butler I have no problems, but this tuner is only running with TV-Mosaic and is not TVheadend compatible :x . Do you have always 100% Quality, or where is here the limit between good and bad?

Plantje

Post by Plantje » Tue May 19, 2020 11:42 am

I don't think I have 100% signal strength. I can check if you like.

I am still about to migrate from one server to another. Also just using TV Mosaic, because TV Headend doesn't run on Windows.

"Issues" I am running into is that playback is "flaky". Like when watching Formula 1 or when there is a ticker in the bottom of the screen (with news shows for example). That doesn't roll smooth.
That's also reason for being interested in quality related topics here on the forum.

Plantje

Post by Plantje » Tue May 19, 2020 11:47 am

Just did a check...
One channel: 97-98%
Another 92-93%
Checked about 10 channels. All between 92% and 98%. Both quality and signal strength