TV Mosaic finds less channels than my TV DVB-C

TVMosaic live and recorded TV products for Desktop/NAS/Raspbery Pi
Jantje

TV Mosaic finds less channels than my TV DVB-C

Post by Jantje » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:00 am

I used the exact same parameters on my TV as in TV Mosaic to scan channels, but my TV finds more channels than TV Mosaic.
My TV is a Samsung UE55KS7000 and for Mosaic I use the Silicon Dust Expand quad DVB-C network tuner. I installed the TV Mosaic on my Synology DS214+ NAS.
The TV does not use any CI or smartcard, all channels are free unencrypted.
Both quad tuner and TV use the same coax cable source.

Below are the scan settings for my TV and TV Mosaic. Other TV Mosaic scan settings were: DVB-C, only free channels, Netherlands, custom scan params, QAM256 modulation, 304000 Khz Freq., 6875 symbol rate. When it scans the first time it sees several networks, I picked ID 1000 the same as my internet/TV provider Trined https://www.trined.nl/klantenservice/instellingen/ suggests and which also my TV uses.

My TV finds 155 TV channels and 85 radio channels vs TV Mosaic only 46 TV channels and 64 radio channels.
For example a few differences: I only have NPO 1/2/3 in HD, all others were not found. TV Mosaic only finds one German TV channel (WDR), my TV finds Das Erste HD, ZDF HD, WDR, NDR.

Questions:
-Why the difference in (number of) found channels?
-How can I select another network ID without wiping all my settings, because I can recall it showed me a list of several found network ID's the first time I scanned?
-How can I add the missing channels preferably without clearing the others?
Attachments
IMG_0012.JPEG
IMG_0012.JPEG (260.61 KiB) Viewed 1655 times
IMG_0011.JPEG
IMG_0011.JPEG (218.43 KiB) Viewed 1655 times
IMG_0010.JPEG
IMG_0010.JPEG (250.79 KiB) Viewed 1655 times
device settings.png
device settings.png (17.28 KiB) Viewed 1655 times

Jantje

Re: TV Mosaic finds less channels than my TV DVB-C

Post by Jantje » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:43 am

Since this forum is as dead as many of the characters in Game of Thrones, I will reply myself.

The solution is to set the option "Scan only free channels" to No because apparently many of the FTA channels are marked as NOT free.
Now it finds all channels (176 TV and 75 Radio) including the paid/non-FTA channels, which of course are not viewable without use of CI/smartcard. I don't know if this is a bug in TV Mosaic or that the channels are somehow marked as non-FTA.

While searching for a solution I found the following:
It would be great if TV Mosaic would allow a rescan using new parameters (for example setting above), but when it tries to scan it immediately stops and says "Channels of this provider have been scanned previously. Results of that scan are applied." So I had to delete all 4 tuners and start all over. Also the webconfig didn't find any channel, so we had to use the Windows desktop client.

Plantje

Post by Plantje » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:16 am

Jantje wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:43 am
Since this forum is as dead as many of the characters in Game of Thrones, I will reply myself.
It is not really, but I think Oberon and The_Man are very busy. I had marked this topic, but wasn't able to help you.
Jantje wrote:
The solution is to set the option "Scan only free channels" to No because apparently many of the FTA channels are marked as NOT free.
Now it finds all channels (176 TV and 75 Radio) including the paid/non-FTA channels, which of course are not viewable without use of CI/smartcard. I don't know if this is a bug in TV Mosaic or that the channels are somehow marked as non-FTA.
I think the latter.
Which TV provider do you use?
Jantje wrote:
While searching for a solution I found the following:
It would be great if TV Mosaic would allow a rescan using new parameters (for example setting above), but when it tries to scan it immediately stops and says "Channels of this provider have been scanned previously. Results of that scan are applied." So I had to delete all 4 tuners and start all over. Also the webconfig didn't find any channel, so we had to use the Windows desktop client.
Hmmm... that should be possible. I don't think I had that issue. But it has been a while since I last did a scan.

Jantje

Post by Jantje » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:14 pm

Plantje wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:16 am
Jantje wrote:
It is not really, but I think Oberon and The_Man are very busy. I had marked this topic, but wasn't able to help you.
Ah focus that's a good thing.. hopefully a nice new update will be available soon then :) That said don't forget your community, it's been weeks ago since anyone of the staff answered... there are many questions/bugs open.
Plantje wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:16 am
Jantje wrote:
I think the latter.
Which TV provider do you use?
Trined

Plantje

Post by Plantje » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:54 pm

Ahum...yeah you did mention Trined. I think my brother switched from Plinq to Trined. Don't think he's using DVBLink again, since I have all his tuners 😁

Montoya

Post by Montoya » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:16 pm

Jantje wrote:
... because apparently many of the FTA channels are marked as NOT free.
Check the results with the official HDHomeRun software, to see if those FTA channels you supposed to get are realy marked as non FTA.
https://www.silicondust.com/support/downloads/

When a scan is done with the HDHomeRun software, it only list channels that are FTA. Check if those channels play in the HDHomeRun app.
This software also updates your firmware of your Expand when available.

If the HDHomeRun software lists all your channels of your package and plays in the HDHomeRun app, than contact DVBLogic support by email with your findings, why the HDHomeRun software finds your FTA channels and TVMosaic not, when scanning is set to FTA channels only.
DVBLink server 6.0.0 build14499, DVBLink TVSource 6.0.0 build14061, DVBLink for IPTV build 13107
TVMosaic server build 17679, Kodi 18.4 (Git:20190831-3ade758ceb), Win10 Pro x64 1909 build18363.476

Plantje

Post by Plantje » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:27 pm

Montoya wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:16 pm
If the HDHomeRun software lists all your channels of your package and plays in the HDHomeRun app, than contact DVBLogic support by email with your findings, why the HDHomeRun software finds your FTA channels and TVMosaic not, when scanning is set to FTA channels only.
Although that may work, the preferred option would be to have the solution here on the forum, right?

Montoya

Post by Montoya » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:45 pm

Plantje wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:27 pm
Although that may work, the preferred option would be to have the solution here on the forum, right?
I should not have to tell you that expecting DVBLogic support from forum topics is not the fasted way to get support eventually.
You have been here long enough from the days of DVBLink and TVMosaic ;)
It is recommended that you follow these steps:
- Check our Wiki (https://wiki.tv-mosaic.com/index.php/Main_Page) if your question is already answered there
- Browse/search this forum. It is very likely that someone already had the issue in the past and found the solution.
- If both previous steps did not answer your question, either submit a ticket to our support team by writing an e-mail to tvmosaic@dvblogic.com or post your issue on this forum in the appropriate section.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=640
Or would you rather wait till the end of days for DVBLogic, to eventually chime in, into this topic :shock:

Jantje can update this topic, with the results for his Trined case, when his support ticket gets solved and closed.
DVBLink server 6.0.0 build14499, DVBLink TVSource 6.0.0 build14061, DVBLink for IPTV build 13107
TVMosaic server build 17679, Kodi 18.4 (Git:20190831-3ade758ceb), Win10 Pro x64 1909 build18363.476

Plantje

Post by Plantje » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:48 pm

True. The fastest response and solution is by just contacting support. And they are very helpful!

And agreed, please do get back to us with the end result.

Jantje

Post by Jantje » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:08 am

Montoya wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:16 pm
Jantje wrote:
... because apparently many of the FTA channels are marked as NOT free.
Check the results with the official HDHomeRun software, to see if those FTA channels you supposed to get are realy marked as non FTA.
https://www.silicondust.com/support/downloads/

When a scan is done with the HDHomeRun software, it only list channels that are FTA. Check if those channels play in the HDHomeRun app.
This software also updates your firmware of your Expand when available.

I used the HDHomerun webinterface which detected and lists all channels, even non-FTA (which are not playable of course). The FTA channels are all playable. I tested several ones which TV Mosaic didn't find in VLC using 'open network stream (ctrl-n)': http://192.168.11.105:5004/auto/v111
So clearly a bug in TV Mosaic.