Simpler configuration - tvmosaic?

TVMosaic live and recorded TV products for Desktop/NAS/Raspbery Pi
ashley

Simpler configuration - tvmosaic?

Post by ashley » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:29 am

Hi,

Now that the product has been finally released, I thought I'd give the thing another try.

Usability;
- Its typical for people these days to have the OS on an SSD as a "c" drive and then other media drives for TV. Please can you move the config item for the livetv buffer be moved to the UI. The information about the file to be used seems to be incorrect viewtopic.php?t=187
The file in my case is located at c:\ProgramData\DVBLogic\TVMosaic\tvmosaic_configuration.xml
Non geeks won't be used to editing files in the ProgramData tree - and why should they have to - all common config should be available via the UI.
The export/import should also include this setting if it doesn't already (this was something I ask for years ago on dvblink). Why doesn't this directory default to the same directory as the recording directory if not specified?
- Why does the UI for specifying the location of the xmltv file file only allow for pulling from a web based URL. Can a UI option not be included to allow for specifying a file location instead (and for selecting the file via UI). Right now I have to copy the xml file to "C:\ProgramData\DVBLogic\TVMosaic\data\xmltv\TVGuide.xml"
- If the same channel appears on multiple transponders (which is common) then it appears in the guide twice so the second instance needs to be manually set to "not visible" - unless I'm doing something worng here.
- It is common for apps these days to be htm5 based with drag/drop UIs that work reliably to avoid thick client non web based apps for configuration. Even though the reliability of the dvblink config web interface was flakey at the best of times - it made configuring the server in a headerless environment relatively easy. Bringing back a better more reliable web interface would be beneficial.
- I didn't find the set up speed any quicker (or easier) on tv-mosaic over the old dvblink product to be honest apart from transponder scans which were a little quicker.
- For fun I ran up the old dvblink android TV client and changed it to point to port 9270 - there were 9 lines of EPG and the text looked a lot better that the tv-mosaic look and feel. Surely you guys can take a look at the old dvblink client, the tv mosaic app, the google live tv app, Kodi etc and come up with something that at-least has the look and feel of a slick set top box. yuo guys have all the basics already.
The tv-mosaic client for android TV still does not have the look and feel to be expected off an android TV app. the navigation using a standard android tv remote is not as simple as it should be and the grid based guide should be easier on the eyes.
- I would expect there to be an option of atleast importing existing tv recording files based on a directory scan without having to copy across the old database - perhaps an option to "sync recorded tv database from a directory scan". It would make things much easier.
- Why is the whole license activation process so needlessly complex and awkward and presumably requires manual intervention on dvblogic's side? I think the whole process should be easier and not based around a machine signature to prevent unnecessary breakages when a piece of hardware changes.

I haven't extensively tested the reliability of the product, but to be honest even the old product once set up rarely gave issues - my concerns have always been the quality of the clients (compared to MCE) and the difficulty of the setup for the average user which always makes tv-mosaic/dvblink a niche product.

In many ways I prefer the UI of Plex, so I'm hoping you can finish off the Plex grid EPG that everyone has been asking for, but I'm happy to pay the tv-mosaic tax as well if that makes both solutions viable.
Intel i5 quad, GTX1060
1xTBS6205
TVMosaic on Win10 x64 with Android/Kodi clients
Nvidia Shield TV running Kodi v18 with tv-mosaic plugin!
Always waiting for the day when LiveTV works as well as streaming TV!

ashley

Re: Simpler configuration - tvmosaic?

Post by ashley » Tue May 01, 2018 3:55 am

any comments? Now that I've just bought the upgrade license or are the questions too hard?
Intel i5 quad, GTX1060
1xTBS6205

Oberon

Post by Oberon » Tue May 01, 2018 6:10 am

There is no major redesign planned for any of our clients any time soon.
The rest of your issues has been put on our todo list, but ETA can be provided at the moment.

ashley

Post by ashley » Wed May 02, 2018 2:05 am

thanks @Oberon,

Understood.

I purchased the license and the license hasn't been added to my account.
I raised a ticket by sending to info@dvblogic that resulted in this;
https://dvblogic.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/44243

but 22 hours later there is no response.

Its for exactly this type of reason the activation/re-signaturing process should be reviewed in terms of automation, to avoid manual intervention from the guys at your side.

Please advise.

cheers
Ashley
Intel i5 quad, GTX1060
1xTBS6205

ashley

Post by ashley » Wed May 02, 2018 10:06 am

thanks @Oberon, I now see an email from you guys with the information I needed and I now have the product activated with the status of "registered"... hooray!
I didn't initially see the license under the license portal though but you suggested I hit refresh on the license portal page which did the trick - thanks for that! Can the html of that page (or the HTTP headers) set to not cache that page to try to avoid this issue?

I did notice that when I updated to the latest build, the update process is still done outside of the product - why?
Can the product not be modified to update within the product itself (i.e. like Plex updates can be applied form the web admin) as this makes things easier for the average user.
Infact when I updated, I had to extract out the zip file and then i tried to click on the tvmosaic_update,bat - it failed so I had to open up a command window as administrator and then called the tvmosaic_update.bat from command line and the update was triggered and all was fine.
things should not be this hard just to update the build on the product.

(Incidentally when I applied the build, the system crashed in some way - i couldn't see properly as the system i have is headerless running windows 10 but with windows build 1803), but was fine after a hard restart and the upgrade to tvmosaic build 16164 seems to have completed)

thanks again - things solid for now atleast with our simple use case.
Intel i5 quad, GTX1060
1xTBS6205

Oberon

Post by Oberon » Wed May 02, 2018 10:25 am

I did not suggest anything - probably our support did ;)

I am also not the one who is writing anything for Plex beyond some work at the streaming level - just to avoid the confusion. Plex is Plex and DVBLogic is DVBLogic.

As for in-place installer - we have many platforms and most of them do not allow in-place upgrade (desktops are exception from the rule). That's why we have "out-of-place" upgrade procedure.

ashley

Post by ashley » Thu May 03, 2018 7:28 am

Is there no way of splitting the upgrade/install to a single file on Windows (which must be you largest user base surely), rather than a zip file with install and upgrade batch files along with executables for both x86 and x64.

I'm only trying to suggest these things as things are just too hard still for the average user who is new to all this stuff and many people will be put off by the complexity still.
Intel i5 quad, GTX1060
1xTBS6205