What is really new?

General discussions about TV Mosaic application.
Vlada

What is really new?

Post by Vlada » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:23 pm

Hi Oberon, first great work on DVBLogic software, thanks for that.
I use your products since 5.5 version on my ASUSTOR NAS and since v6 it has problems with detecting my DVB tuners (PCTV292 and S960). Both should be supported.

Well, let me summarise the real news about TVMosaic. I compare it with old DVBlink product

. It is just new GUI
. The same functions.
. Still no full support for more DVB dongles under NAS like it is under Linux. I had to compile the modules with drivers by myself (wasn't so hard).
. Still no Diseqc 1.2 or USALS support.
. No web support for playing the stream through VLC.Need always to open client to configure the server.

Well, I don't see any reasons why should I upgrade and pay even more money for the same functions. To be honest I really hoped to finally get the wider support of DVB dongles and USALS support. The freeware TVHEADEND has this already for a long time.
Until these two points are fulfilled I will wait for an upgrade.
Thanks.
Vlada

Oberon

Re: What is really new?

Post by Oberon » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:29 pm

Some new features are obvious, some are more subtle.
The new software has a smaller footprint and overall better performance. It is also easier to maintain when channels change or move between transponders.

Discontinued support for tuner drivers was not an easy decision, but the reality is that we could not cope with the diversity of kernels and NAS models. We are talking to NAS manufacturers, so that they can include at least some of the v4l drivers into their kernels - like Synology does with VideoStation, for example.

And diseqc 1.2 will come back at a certain point in time. It was not a priority for TVMosaic launch as a number of users with a motorized dish is very limited.

Vlada

Re: What is really new?

Post by Vlada » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:53 pm

Hi Oberon,
thank you very much for the fast and direct answer.
I do understand (after some trying with module compiling) how difficult it is to keep the modules working for each NAS and kernel. So this is a problem of the NAS producer, that is not a fault of DVBLogic.

But the implementation of USALS in your program is something that should be already there. As I mentioned the TVHeadend has this function and it is really a big advantage of the program.

So I hope you will work on new versions and it will become a great software. Later then I will probably upgrade from DVBLink to TVMosaic.