What to do when change to TV Mosaic

General discussions about TV Mosaic application.
Amatøren

What to do when change to TV Mosaic

Post by Amatøren » Fri May 11, 2018 6:31 am

Need some advice.

Positive and negative feedbacks needed!

My main TV sources are VU+ Duo2 and VU+ Solo2 (maybe also Mut@nt HD51 4K Ultra HD if I have to get CI+ in the future) all Enigma2 STB used as IPTV source. Now I'm running a HTPC Windows 7 WMC with old DVBLink for Dreambox.

Scenario 1:

Powerful HTPC with Windows 10 (need Windows for some Norwegian streaming services)
Running both TV Mosaic server and client (maybe Kodi).

Scenario 2:

Powerful Ubuntu server running TV Mosaic server.
Smaller Windows Client with TV Mosaic client (maybe Kodi).

What to prefer?

the_man
Site Admin

Re: What to do when change to TV Mosaic

Post by the_man » Fri May 11, 2018 1:29 pm

Just a tip:
With the HD / FHD / UHD streams the main computing will lay on client side, so better to use more powerful machine exactly on client side.

BigKSBob

Post by BigKSBob » Fri May 18, 2018 2:00 am

I agree. I have a very similar choice and I found using the more powerful computer runs things much better and smoother - especially if multiple people will be watching shows at the same time. Good Luck!

Amatøren

Post by Amatøren » Fri May 18, 2018 10:08 pm

So, isn't the main work (record and streaming) done by the server?.....?

Is it a main client that handle every thing? If so what the reason for having a separate server.

I understand decoding video stream on client but I thought that was any for that. Not handling recordings and an distribution of streams..........

Do I missed something?

the_man
Site Admin

Post by the_man » Mon May 21, 2018 8:49 am

Sure, if you have a lot of tv sources and have a lot of simultaneous streams (recordings or LiveTV ), then the server machine also should be a quite powerful.
Say for 2 HD streams (maybe more), the RPI3 as a server part will be fully enough. But if streams in h265, then you need as a client, machine capable decode h265 video stream.