Stuttering and other problems with timeshift

General discussions about TV Mosaic application.
vogel

Stuttering and other problems with timeshift

Post by vogel » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:01 am

Hi.

I was watching TV yesterday and was using timeshift for the first time after i set up TV Mosaic.
During live TV there was no problems or stuttering. But than i paused the tv program for like 20 min. After i resumed it started with small artefacts in the picture once in a while together with some beepd or no sound at all for around 0.5 sec.
But time after time it got worse till I the picture stopped for 1 sec roughly every 30 sec.
Than i had to pause it again for TV break. After that i wanted to scrol over the commercials but somehow it jumped for more than 20minutes to the front and i was not able to go back. When i jumped back it was like
1:30:30 / 1:50:xx
1:20:30 / 1:50:xx
1:10:30 / 1:50:xx
1:31:30 / 1:50:xx
where the first number is the time to see and the second number is the total time.

Is the timeshift stored on the client or on the server? If yes is it possible to shift the buffer to the client?
I'm using a PI 3b+ as server and the client is connected via WLAN.

Some single stutter would be no problem but the behaviour at the end was horrible.
Current Config:
Server:
Raspberry Pi Model 3B+ with Rapsbian
1* USB DVB-C tuner
1*HMP-Combo DVB C/T2 (DVB-Sky T330)
[ 1*Hauppauge WinTV-soloHD - currently not supported ]
Client:
Intel NUC with Win10 connected via Wifi

Oberon

Re: Stuttering and other problems with timeshift

Post by Oberon » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:34 pm

The timeshift buffer is stored on the server. And, yes, you need a very fast memory card on RPi for it to function properly, especially for HD channels.

vogel

Re: Stuttering and other problems with timeshift

Post by vogel » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:49 pm

How well do you know the RPi 3b+?
I have a 10 GB sandisk Class 10 card in. As I have this stutterinf problems, this card might be too slow.
If I attach an external USB HDD might this be faster if I shift the buffer to the HDD?
Current Config:
Server:
Raspberry Pi Model 3B+ with Rapsbian
1* USB DVB-C tuner
1*HMP-Combo DVB C/T2 (DVB-Sky T330)
[ 1*Hauppauge WinTV-soloHD - currently not supported ]
Client:
Intel NUC with Win10 connected via Wifi