Upgrade to TVMosaic?

General discussions about TV Mosaic application.
debutanker

Re: Upgrade to TVMosaic?

Post by debutanker » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:52 pm

This is how market economy works, so i dont quite understand this lack of comprehension.....

Oberon

Post by Oberon » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:30 pm

We are trying to be as transparent as possible with our customers. As it is difficult to have everyone happy, we are trying at least to explain the rationale behind what we do.

We do not have a hidden subscription model. With a subscription model, a software is guaranteed to stop working once subscription finishes.

You can call what we have a voluntary maintenance model: as long as you keep your system stable it continues working indefinitely.

But since you want to have your system always up to date that requires also all other software on the system to be up to date.
And this process is never free of charge. The question is only "for how long?".

You may be lucky sometimes to have your NAS supported by your manufacturer for several years (by the way, DVBLink v5.5 and 6.0 does not support any ReadyNAS models that are 6 years old. Probably you are using old x86_64 NETGEAR hardware, which is not supported anymore, but you put a new R6 x86_64 ReadyNAS OS on it?..). But in general, people are accustomed to the fact that if they are upgrading their environment they might need to upgrade the rest of the apps. Comparison to iPhone and Android is not correct - IPhone 5c is only 4 years old and is not supported by the latest iOS anymore. Many Samsung phones do not get firmware upgrades 3-4 years after they have been released.

I think that we have a reasonably liberal upgrade policy.
We release major versions every two years, provide a free upgrade for those, who have purchased new products within 3-6 months before release, provide 50% upgrade discount for all others and maintain the previous version for approx. a year after a new version release.

This amounts to the initial investment of 40-50 euro spread across 3,5 years (if you are lucky) and 1.5 years (if you are a bit less lucky). Every next release requires an investment of approx. 20-25 euro for the next 3 years.
So the investment to maintain the software is about 17 euro a year for the span of 4.5 years worst case. I do not think you can buy a Plex perpetual license (which costs 120 euro) for this kind of money.

chrobrego

Post by chrobrego » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:35 am

Oberon wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:30 pm
So the investment to maintain the software is about 17 euro a year for the span of 4.5 years worst case.
There is no reason that the investment stops after 4.5 years or is tv-mosaic the last ever version?

And maybe I was a bit naive, but I did not anticipate this cost when I made the decision for DVBLink
But ok, now I know and I will not debate that point further

Traxx

Post by Traxx » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:37 pm

I don't have a problem with TVMosaic costing some money, the prices are really reasonable.
I only have the problem now that I bought a second tv-adviser license as I wanted to use both dvblink and tvmosaic at the same time. Now that tvmosaic is so damn stable and works like a charm I notice now that was unneccessary.

But I don't bother about the 25 Euros - its worth it. When things got so quiet in H2 2017 I really feared dvblogic might have gone bankrupt...
There is no real alternative for my setup and that would have been really really bad....
So I appreciate the work done by the company and pay a few bucks every once in a while.

But its always the same with people... Buy a new phone every year, new shoes every few months and a new car every few years. But when it comes to food they go to another supermarket when the milk is 1cents cheaper and software should be free of charge anyway... Because good programmers grow on trees, eat nothing, need no holiday and are single anyway. :?

Oberon

Post by Oberon » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:40 pm

I only have the problem now that I bought a second tv-adviser license as I wanted to use both dvblink and tvmosaic at the same time. Now that tvmosaic is so damn stable and works like a charm I notice now that was unneccessary.
Please, contact our support. We will cancel your subscription and do refund.

Kemosabe

Post by Kemosabe » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:34 pm

Oberon wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:25 pm
I can only repeat myself that you are free to use your purchased DVBLink license for as long as you like. If your hardware configuration changes we will reissue your license. Likewise, there will be critical updates (like new driver builds) until the end of this year.

If you are happy with your DVBLink installation - you may use it indefinitely.
If I am understanding this correctly, users can continue to use DVBLink license for as long as they like, but the software itself will not continue to be maintained after 31st December 2018?

On that basis is it still possible to purchase a new licence for DVBLink and DVBLink for Dreambox, both of which I'm currently trialling at the moment but was unable to buy a full licence, as I was directed to the TV Mosiac site. Both work fine for me and are likely to continue working fine after the end of the year, unless Kodi changes something to cause the DVBLink client to stop working.
Grateful if you could confirm if I can still purchase full licences for DVBLink software.

the_man
Site Admin

Post by the_man » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:04 pm

Kemosabe wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:34 pm
Oberon wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:25 pm
I can only repeat myself that you are free to use your purchased DVBLink license for as long as you like. If your hardware configuration changes we will reissue your license. Likewise, there will be critical updates (like new driver builds) until the end of this year.

If you are happy with your DVBLink installation - you may use it indefinitely.
If I am understanding this correctly, users can continue to use DVBLink license for as long as they like, but the software itself will not continue to be maintained after 31st December 2018?
Yes, you are right. As an example, we still have a customers which uses DVBlink V2.x/3.x and those versions are not supported for over a 5-7 years.

Regarding purchasing of DVBlink licenses, please write to info@dvblogic.com

Kemosabe

Post by Kemosabe » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:42 pm

That's great news. Thanks for the confirmation :D

I have a VU+ Solo2 device and your software works like a charm. I was hoping that I might be able to use the newer TV Mosiac software, as I also downloaded my channel.m3u list using the OpenWebIf application and tried to replicate the same set-up as DVBLink with TV Mosiac by using the IPTV option. Whilst I was able to edit the channel EPG with the TV advisor plugin and all the channels appeared in the TV guide as expected, only the 1st channel in the guide would actually play. Everything seems to be configured correctly and all the channels will play when using VLC, so not sure why they will not play when using TV Mosiac.

Anyway, I will contact DVBLink Info with regards to getting a licence etc.
Thanks again. Much appreciated.

Oberon

Post by Oberon » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:53 pm

Kemosabe wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:42 pm
I have a VU+ Solo2 device and your software works like a charm. I was hoping that I might be able to use the newer TV Mosiac software, as I also downloaded my channel.m3u list using the OpenWebIf application and tried to replicate the same set-up as DVBLink with TV Mosiac by using the IPTV option. Whilst I was able to edit the channel EPG with the TV advisor plugin and all the channels appeared in the TV guide as expected, only the 1st channel in the guide would actually play. Everything seems to be configured correctly and all the channels will play when using VLC, so not sure why they will not play when using TV Mosiac.
This issue will be fixed in the upcoming TVMosaic build.

Kemosabe

Post by Kemosabe » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:11 pm

Oberon wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:53 pm
[This issue will be fixed in the upcoming TVMosaic build.
That's great....Even better news!
The only problem, I'm not entirely sure how many days I have left on my TV Mosaic trial, as that info does not appear like it does with DVBLink. I'm sure you can understand I would like confirmation before purchasing a full licence.
Thanks