Continuous Spinning/Loading Logo with Apple TV

General discussions about TV Mosaic application.
Kung-Foo-Kamel

Continuous Spinning/Loading Logo with Apple TV

Post by Kung-Foo-Kamel » Mon May 27, 2019 10:22 pm

Hi,

I have an issue that has been persistent for over a year now:

Almost every time I start TV Mosaic on any of my Apple TV's and select a channel to watch, the spinning logo that starts up in the centre of the screen stays there for ever just spinning away, the channel has loaded and is running fine, but just with this annoying spinning icon, if stop the channel and start it again, the spinning loading logo starts for a few seconds then goes away as it should.

Its quite annoying, happens nearly every time I use the service after it has been of for a while, it happens on all of my Apple TV's in the house, I have reinstalled the server on several machines, I tried e different USB DVBT Tuners and 2 different PCIE DVBT Tuners, all result in this repeatable issues.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Previous server was an i7 Gen 3, had tried an nVidia and AMD GPU, along with the Intel iGPU, I have tried in a VM, on my iMac and now its running on a 8 Core Xeon Server, everything in the house is connected by gigabit lan, all ATV's are version 4 and one is the newer 4K model.

Have also tested TV Mosaic on Windows 10, Windows 7 and now have it running on Windows Server 2016, problem has still persisted.

I never actually noticed the issue at first as I don't watch live TV, my Wife does, and she will sit there for hours with that dam spinning logo in the centre of the screen, usually I walk and catch it happening, and I fix it, she has informed its been doing it for quite some time and has learned to ignore it, however, I cant, I never had this issue with my NextPVR and Kodi setup in the Past.

Any help would much appreciated.

Cheers

KFK
Last edited by Kung-Foo-Kamel on Wed May 29, 2019 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

btaroli

Re: Continuous Spinning/Loading Logo with Apple TV

Post by btaroli » Mon May 27, 2019 11:47 pm

My environment is a bit different because I’m running the server on ReadyNAS (Netgear x86). The only thing I know has a direct impact on clients for playback is transcoding.

I don’t see that the AppleTV app has an option for requesting transcoding (the iOS app does). But I did play with the transcoding options on the server a bit because hardware offload is supposed to be available for Intel x86 installations. In my case I found that only “Default” worked (no, not even software mode did).

Not sure that tweaking transcode options will be a magic bullet but it’s the only setting I’ve seen really tank client steaming. Perhaps Windows installs have other potential issues.

Kung-Foo-Kamel

Post by Kung-Foo-Kamel » Wed May 29, 2019 7:36 pm

Mine is already on default, have tried software and hardware as mentioned in my OP, no option has made a difference, what ever the issuse is, its repeatable and has followed over several iterations of hardware and software, I cant be the only one that has this issue?

btaroli

Post by btaroli » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:28 am

I can report something here. Oddly it happened with DVBLink and not TVMosaic. The situation involved me replacing some disks for pending faults and expansion. This creates a lot of kernel I/O while the raid groups are syncing. I experienced many pauses while DVBLink was transcoding. And that’s when the continuous spinning circle was displayed on the screen, during live TV display or recorded playback.

Is it possible that your server or network connection isn’t keeping up with the stream, and that the client is buffering? That’s when I saw this happen.

Kung-Foo-Kamel

Post by Kung-Foo-Kamel » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:28 am

Pretty sure this is not the issue, but I will test by changing the recorded data base to different drives, currently is running from a hardware based raid 6 array consisting of 8 x 2TB IBM/Hitachi Enterprise drives with 512mb Cache, but I have several SSD's in the system as well, the Raid array is good for around 600mbs sequential read/writes, and the server has 6 x Gigabit connections, 2 are bonded to 2Gbs and are assigned to TV Mosaic and PLEX only, so there should really be no reason for any latency issues, the machine is powerhouse, dual Xeons, 96GB DDR3 ECC ram.

Like I said in my OP, this issue has been following all hardware, previous machine was an i7 with several SSD's and several raid arrays, tried Intel/Nvidia/AMD GPU's as well.

I did try to run TV Mosaic in a VM and that resulted in severe choppy playback, not sure why as it had access to massive resources and a dedicated SSD.