Compatibility question

TVMosaic is the new King, but if you still have questions about DVBLink - this is the place to ask them.
dschoenfuss

Compatibility question

Post by dschoenfuss » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:05 am

Hi,
I have been running DVBlink on a QNAP 412 with two PCTV 460e tuners for many years now. I would like to upgrade to TVMosaic and I have the following questions:

- Are my tuners still supported by TV Mosaic?
- I have an active subscription of TV-Advisor. I actually just renewed it this month. Does it work seemlessly with TVMosaic?
- I stream the recordings with my Philips TV using DLNA. Does this work as before?
- Can I expect a performance improvement? DVBlink has always been very, very slow on my NAS.

I would much appreciate a fast answer. I have a few free days and I would like to undertake the upgrade to the new software.

Oberon

Re: Compatibility question

Post by Oberon » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:57 am

If you are using 460e with qnap then you'd need to stay with dvblink for the nearest future as tvmosaic does not come with tuner drivers on NAS platforms. We are in discussion with NAS manufacturers about including at least some of the drivers into NAS kernel. Until that happens 460e will not work with TVMosaic.
If you still want to upgrade, I see two options - either change NAS to Synology or migrate to a sat2ip network tuner. If you choose the latter, please write an e-mail to our support team, we might have several refurbished of them for a good price.

For the rest of your questions:
- TVAdviser works with TVMosaic the same way as it works with DVBLink. Your recommendation profiles will taken over during license upgrade.
- DLNA works also the same way as in DVBLink
- There will be definitely big performance improvement comparing to DVBLink, both in speed and in memory usage

dschoenfuss

Post by dschoenfuss » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:21 pm

Thank you for your fast reply. I just couldn't wait and I have installed the trial version. It indentified my PCTV 460e tuners and I could successfully scan for channels and set up the system. So I just bought a TVMosaic license.

However, the registration does not work. On my PC I get the error message "could not connect to server" when I enter the serial number. In the license portal I do not see any of the new licenses (neither TVAdvisor nor TVMosaic) and I cannot download license files. Please help!

Oberon

Post by Oberon » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:23 pm

Beware that your tuners work with tvmosaic on dvblink drivers. So you must have dvblink running in parallel for it to continue working.
As for license issue, please write to our support and they will help you.

dschoenfuss

Post by dschoenfuss » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:28 pm

Thank you. Does this mean I have to run the DVBlink server? It seems enough to have it installed but not running. However, I could not check recording functionality because I could not active the license, yet.

I just tried to get my DVBlink database over to TVMosaic using the method described here:
https://wiki.tv-mosaic.com/index.php/Ho ... o_TVMosaic

However, the TVMosaic server does not seem to start anymore. How can I diagnose the problem - where are the logs?

Oberon

Post by Oberon » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:34 pm

Yes, you will have to run dvblink for tvmosaic to find your tuners.

Log files location is described here:
https://wiki.tv-mosaic.com/index.php/Wh ... data_files

Siutsch

Post by Siutsch » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:55 pm

I switched from DVBLink to TV-Mosaic some days ago (by switching my license too).

During my tests with tv-mosaic the tv-mosaic client finds my two DVB-S2 tuners, but two times for each tuner in the settings, so TV-Mosaic found 4 tuner entrys (the DVBLink service was still started).
(I have a DS 1813+ and as tuner a PCTV 460e and a DVBSky S960 with CI).
I made settings for the 1st of each entry for one PCTV 460e and for one DVBSky S960.
I don't know why every tuner has two entry within TV-Mosaic, within DVBLink every tuner only was found one time,
I have installed videostation too, but with stopped service.

After configuring TV-Mosaic I stopped the DVBLink service and could continue to use use TV-Mosaic with both tuners.

But today I made an update of my DS Version and after that the Synology had to reboot.

After that TV-Mosaic hasn't found any tuners anymore. I think, that was, because of the stopped DVBLink service so nor more tuners were found.
As I said, I have installed videostation too, but with stopped service.

So I started the videostation service, rebooted, but no tuners were found.
Then I enabled the DTV function within the videostation settings (which was disabled) wich solved the problem for my PCTV 460e tuner, which was found by videostation.
After that I could make a new scan for that tuner within tv-mosaic too and hat to configure the settings again.

But unfortunately it seems, that videostation doesn't find my second tuner: DVBSky S960 which I use for HD+ (has CI Slot).
After some searching it seems, that this tuner was supported and found by videostation some time ago, but not anymore.

So my question now is, how can I resolve this problem.

Can I let DVBLink be installed and started (instead or together with videostation) so that TV-Mosaic again finds my two tuners?
(Will TV-Mosaic then find my PCTV 460e tuner again two times if I have started the videostation service too?).
Can this be done, altough I switched my license from DVBLink to TV-Mosaic?

And what will be, if there is a new DSM version in the future and DVBLink doesn't find the tuners anymore which happened regularly in the past?
Because DVBLink is not developed further this will happen after some DMS update.

After purchasing the upgade from DVBLink to TV-Mosaic, hoping to continue using my two tuners which initially worked well,
now I am a bit disappointed to be unable to continue using my tuner with CI Slot for HD +.

In post #259 you wrote:
"We are in discussion with NAS manufacturers about including at least some of the drivers into NAS kernel".

Are you in contact with Synology too and do you think, that this could happen for DVBSky drivers, as there exists working linux drivers from this manufacturer?

That would be great.

What surprised me:
In NAS control panel - system - info center, the device is displayed (together with PCTV 460e) as
DVBSky S960C DVB-S2 tuner - Conexant Systems (Rockwell)
So it seems, that the Synology detects this USB device, but videostation only detects the PCTV 460e and so TV-Mosaic too.

Any ideas?

Siutsch

Post by Siutsch » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:49 pm

Any special reason, why I get no answer? :?

Siutsch

Post by Siutsch » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:39 pm

Why don't I get an answer? :(

Oberon

Post by Oberon » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:58 pm

Siutsch wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:39 pm
Why don't I get an answer? :(
Because there is no easy answer to your question.
The best bet would be to have drivers included into Synology kernel. But when and if that happens - I do not know at the moment.