Client without server - uninstall only server

Topics about Android / Amazon / iOS / AppleTV / Kodi and other TVMosaic clients
MacDres

Client without server - uninstall only server

Post by MacDres » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:48 pm

Hi

Is it possible to install only the TV Mosaic app without the server - my setup now are a "production" server on my NAS but I also have a server installed on my Mac and on a Windows server in my lab.

The clients are needed to config the server on the NAS.

How to remove the servers where I only need the client.

Hope it makes sense.

Br. MacDres

Plantje

Re: Client without server - uninstall only server

Post by Plantje » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:56 pm

I was looking for the same thing. But you can just install the full version and the connect to your production server. That would solve the issue, right?

Montoya

Post by Montoya » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:07 am

No, he wants a lightweight client install, without the TVMosaic Service part on his clients systems, just like we had with DVBLink.

If he only uses his NAS as the TVMosaic server and uses his MAC+Windows systems as TVMosaic clients, than he doesn’t want a fully loaded TVMosaic install on his clients, just like more of us also don’t want on client systems...

This is not available until now with TVMosaic. Now the user has to do a full install (with including TVMosaic Service part and more) and manually change the startup behavior of the TVMosaic Service, from preventing to load at each boot on his client systems.

In DVBLink, we had the DVBLink Viewer/Player install, as lightweight DVBLink clients, without the DVBLink Service install.
DVBLink server 6.0.0 build14499, DVBLink TVSource 6.0.0 build14061, DVBLink for IPTV build 13107
TVMosaic server build 16708, Kodi 18.0-BETA3 Git:20180910-65fee74469, Win10 Pro x64 1809 build17763.55

MacDres

Post by MacDres » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:54 am

Thank you Montoya - you described it perfectly.

What mostly concerns me it the fact that I have several systems running services I'll newer need.

Hope it will be possible later.

Br. MacDres

TMDude

Post by TMDude » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:55 pm

+1
Please make available a client-only installer (or an option in the installer to allow you to choose server and/or client installation)

Plantje

Post by Plantje » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:08 am

I understand what you are looking for. But does it use that much resources? Otherwise it is not really an issue. It's just the principle involved :)

Oberon

Post by Oberon » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:07 pm

We do not have a client-only install at the moment because of two reasons:
- resources (CPU and disk usage) of the server itself are minimal, comparing to a "client" part of the installation
- from DVBLink times we noticed that it was very confusing for our users to make a difference between server/client/viewer installations

rbueeler

Post by rbueeler » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:03 pm

Would it be possible to choose in the installer what components get installed?
Then only one installer is needed, but still the user can choose what to install, while by default everything is installed.

Montoya

Post by Montoya » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:29 pm

Oberon wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:07 pm
We do not have a client-only install at the moment because of two reasons:
- resources (CPU and disk usage) of the server itself are minimal, comparing to a "client" part of the installation
- from DVBLink times we noticed that it was very confusing for our users to make a difference between server/client/viewer installations
It seems more logical to me, to have a client option in install, mostly because of the absence of a web interface for TVMosaic, so that users with NAS installs aren’t confused anymore, activating the wrong system with their serial...

And like I said before, I also don’t need the full TVMosaic package on my wife’s and kids laptops. Now, I can’t let them install the TVMosaic package by themselves (because of the manual change in startup behavior of the TVMosaic Service), while with the DVBLink Viewer/Player, they could...

Still waiting btw, for the addition of a restricted TVMosaic user, besides the admin user, just like we had with DVBLink (but that is food for another topic)
DVBLink server 6.0.0 build14499, DVBLink TVSource 6.0.0 build14061, DVBLink for IPTV build 13107
TVMosaic server build 16708, Kodi 18.0-BETA3 Git:20180910-65fee74469, Win10 Pro x64 1809 build17763.55

wazer

Post by wazer » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:46 pm

Just check if theres a server already running on the network on initial setup startup if none found ask if you want to manual add IP, selecting no should then setup a server on with the installation, should not be that hard to configure from installer perspective.