Can't get Closed Captions (Subtitles) to work in TV Mosaic Windows or Apple TV

Topics about Android / Amazon / iOS / AppleTV / Kodi and other TVMosaic clients
robtheone

Can't get Closed Captions (Subtitles) to work in TV Mosaic Windows or Apple TV

Post by robtheone » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:38 pm

Can someone tell me how to view closed captions in TV Mosaic with the Windows and Apple TV Clients? I searched through the forums and found this:

If player detects that cc/subs are available, it enables a special button in its control bar below video. When you press on it - you get a selection dialog to enable them. For Android app it is a long press of the Up button on the remote.

However, this doesn't seem to be the case for me, or I am not seeing the buttons, as I believe I have tried all of them. I do not have Android, but have the Windows client as well as the Apple TV app, and can't get them to work on either one, on ANY recording I have. I hate if I am missing something obvious.

Recordings are from HDHomeRun Tuner, and I can see the captions in VLC and Plex, so they are available.

TV Mosaic Windows Client shows captions are DISABLED (How to enable them??)
Captions show DISABLED on Windows Client.jpg
Captions show DISABLED on Windows Client.jpg (135.68 KiB) Viewed 654 times
Apple TV 4K shows "Captions 1" enabled (the English version), but I tried all 4 options, and none of them display captions
CC_Apple TV no captions_2.jpg
CC_Apple TV no captions_2.jpg (378.43 KiB) Viewed 654 times
CC Apple TV captions 1 are enabled_2.jpg
CC Apple TV captions 1 are enabled_2.jpg (335.78 KiB) Viewed 654 times
VLC Player shows the captions enabled and working with "Captions 1" selected:
Captions work on SAME File in VLC.jpg
Captions work on SAME File in VLC.jpg (269.87 KiB) Viewed 654 times
I copied the same .TS file into my Plex folder, and the Apple TV Plex Client is also able to view closed captions
Captions work on SAME File in Plex_2.jpg
Captions work on SAME File in Plex_2.jpg (380.6 KiB) Viewed 654 times
What am I missing in the TV Mosaic Windows and Apple TV clients to enable these?

Thank you!
Attachments
File Media Info shows captions.zip
Media Info file showing captions
(1.22 KiB) Downloaded 26 times

robtheone

Re: Can't get Closed Captions (Subtitles) to work in TV Mosaic Windows or Apple TV

Post by robtheone » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:06 pm

Almost 2 months ago I posted this and still to this day I am unable to get closed captions on ANY device that uses TV Mosaic. The server, apple tv client, android client. How is it possible that I am the only 1? Just now watching Live TV on the TV Mosaic Windows client and it says "Disabled", while I know that the network is sending them and they show up in Plex, in Kodi, in VLC, etc after TV Mosaic has recorded them. Is there a setting somewhere that has them universally disabled with TV Mosaic?

the_man
Site Admin

Re: Can't get Closed Captions (Subtitles) to work in TV Mosaic Windows or Apple TV

Post by the_man » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:21 pm

Just start to play any of channel and during the Live TV swipe from top to down ( long press Up button for Android TV), menu with all tracks should appear. There you may select any of streamed Subtitle/Audio-track.

For "deeper tests" please make a record of the TV program where is a subtitles and share this ts file with us.

robtheone

Post by robtheone » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:36 am

Thanks for the reply. I have made a 2-minute recording to show the issue I am experiencing. Here is a link to the .TS File created by TV Mosaic:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WAi5v8 ... sp=sharing

Here are the results:

TV Mosaic Windows Client: Subtitles Show DISABLED (There should be 2 audio tracks available, one in English and one in Spanish, there should also be an English CC option as well, but DISABLED is the only option showing) How to change Audio or Add subtitles?
2-Minute TEST TVM Windows.jpg
2-Minute TEST TVM Windows.jpg (100.82 KiB) Viewed 534 times
TV Mosaic App on Apple TV4K (Displays 4 CC Options, but tried All 4 of them and captions never displayed on the TV)
TV Mosaic Apple TV4K No Subtitles Display.jpg
TV Mosaic Apple TV4K No Subtitles Display.jpg (110.64 KiB) Viewed 534 times
VLC Player with same TS File (Captions work)
2-Minute TEST Captions work on VLC.jpg
2-Minute TEST Captions work on VLC.jpg (92.33 KiB) Viewed 534 times
MRMC App with same TS File on Apple TV4K (Captions work)
MRMC Apple TV4K Shows Subtitles.jpg
MRMC Apple TV4K Shows Subtitles.jpg (135.29 KiB) Viewed 534 times
Plex App (had to do a "send to" with "Convert to MP4" to get it the files show up in Plex) on Apple TV4K (Captions work)
Plex on Apple TV4K Shows Subtitles.jpg
Plex on Apple TV4K Shows Subtitles.jpg (114.78 KiB) Viewed 534 times
I temporarily have an NVidia Shield which I just got last week as a gift for my Mother. I will not be able to keep this, but testing this file on the TV Mosaic Android app, and captions DO work!
TV Mosaic on Android Shield works.jpg
TV Mosaic on Android Shield works.jpg (85.54 KiB) Viewed 534 times
I only watch shows either on my PC or the Apple TV4K, so not sure why on these 2 devices, I cannot get captions to work. Please let me know if you need additional details for deeper testing.

Thank you!

robtheone

Post by robtheone » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:31 pm

Any updates on this? It's been over 3 months now since I reported it, and 5 weeks since I provide additional files for testing. Clearly there is either a setup issue on my side or a bug. Closed captions are very important to me, so can the problem be acknowledged as either my setup being incorrect or a bug that exists and is going to remain a very low priority that will likely never be fixed?