Feedback needed: TVMosaic app for Android with the latest libvlc

Topics about Android / Amazon / iOS / AppleTV / Kodi and other TVMosaic clients
Oberon

Feedback needed: TVMosaic app for Android with the latest libvlc

Post by Oberon » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:37 am

We have integrated the latest libvlc into our TVMosaic app on Android.

However, I have a very subjective feeling that a/v quality is worse than the onethat we are currently using.
Specifically, I have seen lipsync issues and de-interlacing now requires hardware support (e.g. no deinterlacing on FireTV).

On the bright side, digital audio passthrough should start working.

If anyone is willing to try this pre-release (if it will ever come to release point) version, here is the download link for TVMosaic apk:
<obsolete link removed>

Please, let us know what you think!
Thank you.

marcelveldt

Re: Feedback needed: TVMosaic app for Android with the latest libvlc

Post by marcelveldt » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:55 pm

will this also work for android TV ?

Oberon

Post by Oberon » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:04 pm

Yes.

wazer

Post by wazer » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:16 am

Oberon wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:04 pm
Yes.
Hello I'm currently on trial with TVMosaic, I knew about DVBViewer but always thought it was too messy, however TVM I like.

To the point where I need to decide If I want to continue working with this program and android app and pay for it.

The PC version of the program I have troubles with just "running" it without administrator, If i do so I will end of with a lot of TVM instances running in the background slowly borking my PC

Maybe check if an instance is already running to prevent running multiple of same TVM Client.

So after killing all processes and Right clicking on TVM selecting administrator it works as intended.

Android test
Tested version 2.2.0(15) and version 2.3.0(16)

Missing a Pre setting to set subs and audio lang by default
All the android devices I have tested it on the subs and audio does not do anything, I cannot get it to show subs or change audio, also the desired selection does not get saved. btw. This works beautiful in "google's" live channel app, so I'm sure you can get it to work too.

In the PC client software you can change the subs and audio and it actually works, but does also not gets saved selection.

The overall ui and font/text is for my personal taste too big and cluttered you are missing a lot.

Take example this screenshot from my TV using androidTV when I want to select subtitles, you cannot read and have to guess(but kinda hard when you do not know if subs are working or not)

Another good example is the purple info box at the bottom(so much wasted space)

This example shows content to read, the box is so big and yet I have to scroll down to read further about this episode :)

Now to one of the biggest issues is the controlling and navigation it "sucks"

You cannot get the sub/audio menu up you are forced to use mouse pointer and move it to the top of the screen then mouse click left in order to show, which you cannot do at ALL with the small dpad remote shown on picture, I'm forced to use my RII remote pad which kinda defeats the purpose of AndroidTV then.

Navigating through channels when watching something and clicking OK, makes you vomit, you have to do a frustrated combination in order for it to go up and select the white channel text and then go left or right, 99% of the time you will fail and it will just swap to the channel right or left for it, also you are also in for a treat by timeshiftning a lot even when you did not want to do that at that particular moment.

Sometimes the control selection gets stuck over to the left "just like this"
You have to click backwards once or twice in order for to get the menu up and get control of the selection again.

Last but not least for now, the EPG load times are really slow.
When starting up or navigating through selections/menus I tend to catch the EPG data get whiped and reloaded which takes everything from 5-10 seconds it feels so unpolished and I'm getting triggered by this, maybe cache the entire EPG file on the device or find a better way to to make it work, its just bad right now, sorry :)

I hope this was readable, if not well sorry, let me know and I will try to setup/explain better.

vagabund

Post by vagabund » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:56 am

Since june no reaction to wazers comments :roll: . I'm using the tv-mosaic server installed on a raspberrypi, and it works great, but the clients are (sorry) software :cry: .
@TV-mosaic: Is there a plan for the customers to program a reasonable software? It is horrible to use the TV-Mosaic app on a Android TV (nvidia shield TV). For an example of how to do it right, take a look at Kodi.

Oberon

Post by Oberon » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:55 am

vagabund wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:56 am
Since june no reaction to wazers comments :roll: . I'm using the tv-mosaic server installed on a raspberrypi, and it works great, but the clients are (sorry) software :cry: .
@TV-mosaic: Is there a plan for the customers to program a reasonable software? It is horrible to use the TV-Mosaic app on a Android TV (nvidia shield TV). For an example of how to do it right, take a look at Kodi.
Can you please be more specific regarding what has to be changed or improved upon? Unfortunately there is not much we can do with the general statements like this.

vagabund

Post by vagabund » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:07 am

Primary use is under Android TV with a Nvidia Shield TV

- Is it possible to change the channel with a numerical keyboard? No problem with Kodi and a Logitech Harmony companion remote control.
- If I see live TV, could I see as overlay the TV guide with the possibility to change the channel? Kodi no problem.
- Why stops the live TV if I try to program another TV program? Kodi no problem.
- Why stops the live TV if I go in the recording folder? Kodi no problem.
- When I close the application, it is completely thrown out of memory. A restart therefore takes unnecessarily long. Kodi no problem. If I restart Kodi I'm back at the last state.

Then why not use Kodi? I only need one TV function because I use the Plex Mediaserver for everything else.

Oberon

Post by Oberon » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:34 pm

vagabund wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:07 am
Primary use is under Android TV with a Nvidia Shield TV

- Is it possible to change the channel with a numerical keyboard? No problem with Kodi and a Logitech Harmony companion remote control.
- If I see live TV, could I see as overlay the TV guide with the possibility to change the channel? Kodi no problem.
- Why stops the live TV if I try to program another TV program? Kodi no problem.
- Why stops the live TV if I go in the recording folder? Kodi no problem.
- When I close the application, it is completely thrown out of memory. A restart therefore takes unnecessarily long. Kodi no problem. If I restart Kodi I'm back at the last state.

Then why not use Kodi? I only need one TV function because I use the Plex Mediaserver for everything else.
With your wishlist I think you'd be better off with using Kodi.

The numerical keyboard support is on our todo list, but has a lower priority due to the fact that majority of the android-based players have a simple D-PAD remote.
Number 2 and 3 from your list are handled in TVMosaic with the quick navigation bar, which appears on the screen if you press any key during playback. You can scroll there with left and right arrows and change programs by pressing Ok button.
Further, the scenario of going to the recorded TV folder, while continuing watching live TV is not the most common.
And, exit is exit. If you exit the app - it is freed form memory. If you would like to keep it, just press Home button on your remote and it will stay where it was.