Apple TV App How-to?

Topics about Android / Amazon / iOS / AppleTV / Kodi and other TVMosaic clients
robtheone

Apple TV App How-to?

Post by robtheone » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:41 pm

Is there a guide somewhere showing how to use the Apple TV app for TV Mosaic? I have searched and can't find anything. The app really does not seem intuitive to me, especially when it comes to using the remote control, and how it is supposed to work, and watching recordings.

Before I ask questions or make comments, I would like to say I have seen the app improve since it was originally released, but without having read a wiki or a guide, I am unclear what capabilities currently exist and what are considered enhancement requests.

1) There are basic options are the top, GUIDE, MEDIA LIBRARY, RECORDINGS, SETTINGS, etc. I often find myself getting stuck in one of them (usually the guide area now, but used to also be the Media Library back when I had Vaders) regardless if that is the option I want to be in. Once the spinning wheel begins, you can NOT move to another option, until it finishes whatever it is doing. My guide takes 48 seconds to load 203 visible channels with guide data. So I suppose my question is, am I stuck in GUIDE, for example, for 48 seconds if I accidentally click GUIDE, but actually want to be in RECORDINGS? Is there a way to move around in the app without having to wait?

2) Is it normal to take 48 seconds to load a TV Guide of 203 channels? Seems excessive when you are sitting there watching the circle go round and round. My Nvidia Shield in the Bedroom takes less than 2 seconds to load the same exact guide, for the same exact channels, from the same exact server. Seems like the Apple TV app is the red-headed step child of apps based on my experience using it. It seems way less refined than other Apple TV apps, and a far cry from the way easier to use Android version of TV Mosaic.

3) Once in the TV guide, how do you scroll easily? I seem to end up hours ahead of the current time, just scrolling straight down the guide. While scrolling down one channel at a time, the guide never seems to stay in the current time frame. Let's say it's currently 2:00pm. How do you scroll down while making the cursor to remain in the 2:00pm time area? It seems like the remote is super sensitive and moves right or left when I swear I am scrolling only down. Also I notice that if you scroll down and hit a 2 hour movie, for example, the next scroll down doesn't stay in the current time area, but will jump ahead, and will continue to jump ahead the more channels you scroll through. Am I doing something wrong here?

4) Also in the TV guide while scrolling, what am I hitting on the remote that suddenly scrolling down makes the guide do a "page jump" scroll down, instead of a normal "single scroll" down? I can't figure it out.

5) Watching recordings can be a challenge, as I seem to encounter multiple issues. Is there a 30-second skip or 3-minute skip feature available, and how to do that if so? How about a 10-second or 30-second rewind option? My Android TV box is a simple left or right click for 30 seconds, and right click 6 times for 3 minutes, but Apple TV doesn't seem to work as well or easily, at least that I have figured out anyways. Currently, I click the remove once to pause so that I can move around the recording, but from there the remote seems to be all over the place when you try to move either forwards or backwards.

6) In recordings, there are 3 numbers being displayed at the bottom. Unfortunately, the 3 numbers do not seem like logical choices to be displayed to me (my opinion). The remote seems super sensitive in the app, so a simple swipe left or right, and there is no telling where you actually are in the recording, because the time references on the left and right aren't fixed times. There's a positive number on the left, a negative number on the right, and a very random number in the middle, all 3 constantly changing. Additionally, I do not find that these numbers are consistent across recordings. (often recordings get cut short, but the time still says the full time. Also I see all 0:00's on some recordings) The bigger issue is trying to simply skip commercials or move to a different section of the recording. Best I have determined, the number on the left is where you currently are (generally it should remain 0:00, the beginning of a show), number on the right (negative) is time left (generally it is the length of the program - a fixed number), and number in the middle I assume is where you may end up if you click the remote again. In attempting to skip commercials, I often try to add 3 minutes to the left number to figure out where I need to be, but for the life of me, I can't get the app to that desired time, and once you click play, the number of the left is now different than what it was, and you are not where you want to be, but now that number is different, so getting to a desired place in the recording is tough. Do I need to be ahead of where I am or behind? I have had cable boxes for years, I have used Plex, Kodi, MrMC, and various other programs, but have never had such a difficult time getting around in a recorded show. The reason the 3 numbers do not seem logical to me is that you have no fixed reference on where you are in a recording, as all 3 numbers that are being displayed are continually changing. In the current setup, it seems that there is no fixed frame of reference to look to as a means to navigate through commercials, FF, rewind, etc. Clearly this is more of an observation than a question, but am I missing an understanding of something that would make navigating recordings easier?

7) There is a commercial detection option available in the server as a "send to" section, but if you send a recording somewhere, TV Mosaic can no longer watch it, so how would you watch a show in the app with the commercials detected?

8) How do you make the app display captions? Captions do not ever work for me in the Apple TV app! Not on Live TV, not on recorded shows. I can swipe down on the remote and view the options to display CC1, CC2, CC3, CC4, but for my recordings, it is ALWAYS CC1 that has English captions, and despite that fact that they will display without issue in the Android app, the same exact show will NOT display captions on the Apple TV. Is this a setting issue I have yet to figure out? Does anyone use the Apple TV app and have the ability to view captions? All my other Apple TV apps work perfectly with captions, but not TV Mosaic. Any advice here?

9) Is there a way to adjust the sensitivity of the touch pad on the remote for this app? The Apple TV 4K is my favorite and main box that I use at home, and I use a lot of other apps, but do not experience the same level of difficulty in maneuvering around the app like I do with TV Mosaic. A simple click or swipe and you are often times way off from your desired location. It all seems to come down to the sensitivity of the remote inside the app.

10) Siri integration would be nice to have available. I tell her to FF 3 minutes, but she says "Sorry, I can not do that here". Enhancement request?

Not trying to beat up on the app, or its designer, but my send-to option on my server is currently broken, meaning I am forced to use the TV Mosaic app, and perhaps if I understand how things are meant to work, it would be a better experience.

Thank you!
Last edited by robtheone on Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jobbanobba

Re: Apple TV App How-to?

Post by jobbanobba » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:35 am

Hi, unfortunately I am not able to help but I support most of your topics.

Especially the sensitivity issue in regards of the remote control. I have no idea if this is app related or just a hardware "feature".

I love my AppleTV but scrolling through the EPG is a real pain in the ass.

Regards

Werner

Montoya

Post by Montoya » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:11 am

@robtheone

As a long term DVBLink and TVMosaic user, I predict no big changes to come to the tvOS platform for TVMosaic.
DVBLink on tvOS stayed the same in the last couple of years, while users requested changes for it and TVMosaic will probably undergo the same treatment...

With that attitude of DVBLogic, users are forced to use other options on the Apple TV like MrMC, Plex or Emby, with the last two not even needing TVMosaic Server, to get Live TV recording options.

PS: Can you add a blank line between the numbered sections for better readability ?
DVBLink server 6.0.0 build14499, DVBLink TVSource 6.0.0 build14061, DVBLink for IPTV build 13107
TVMosaic server build 17679, Kodi 18.4 (Git:20190831-3ade758ceb), Win10 Pro x64 1903 build18362.449

robtheone

Post by robtheone » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:22 pm

Montoya wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:11 am
@robtheone

PS: Can you add a blank line between the numbered sections for better readability ?
Thanks for the replies. I did not anticipate 10 separate items when I started the topic, but each item reminded me of another. I have added a blank line in between each item and bolded a specific question on each topic for brevity and clarity.

I appreciate the information provided. If anyone actually knows that there is an answer to any of these items, it would be appreciated. I find it odd that the Android app feels VERY much easier to use and navigate as compared to the Apple TV, the remote in particular. However even in the Android version, which I have also purchased TV Mosaic server for my Mother to use, and tried to teach her how to use the app, navigation of android isn't particularly intuitive. The app seems written for ease of programming vs ease of use for the end user. Menus are difficult to locate, navigate and illogically placed in Android, but the Apple TV app with that Apple TV 4K remote don't seem to work well together.

I think TV Mosaic is an Excellent product as a server, and I LOVE it over any other that I have used, but truly struggle with using any of the clients.

Thanks again!