New client hardware required for TV Mosaic

Topics about Android / Amazon / iOS / AppleTV / Kodi and other TVMosaic clients
Homer

New client hardware required for TV Mosaic

Post by Homer » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:37 pm

Hi guys,

I presently have a Win10 server running TV Mosaic, Emby, Blue Iris, Homeseer etc, which all work fine with networked pc's, and my phone - a Samsung Galaxy S7, but I have issues with all of my other android clients - Nexus Players - which are plugged in to my tv's.

The Nexus Players (Four of them) have Lineage OS 15.1 running on them. They can:

1. Run Emby very well, HD TV, 1080 movies etc.
2. Run Youtube very well at 1080.
3. Run Netflix very well at unknown but high enough resolution.
4. Cannot run Blue Iris android client, as there is no BI client for Android TV OS. It can't run the UI3 browser version either.
5. Cannot run Homeseer android client for the same reason.
6. Cannot run TV Mosaic, as it crashes INSTANTLY when I choose a sd or HD channel on the epg.

If anybody knows why TV Mosaic is doing this, it could save me a lot of money, as I'm now looking into upgrading all of the clients. If I do upgrade, I want to be future proofed for 4K recordings.

I've looked at:

1. Intel NUC, but that will get pricey very quickly x 4.
2. Ras Pi - May or may not work, depending on android version available, and availability of all of my apps.
3. Android tv boxes such as the Beelink GT King, which runs normal android so can hopefully load the Blue Iris android client, and hopefully has enough resources to run all of my programs. I note that the Beelink can only do Netfix at 480p at present, so won't buy that unless it gets fixed.

So, I appear to be stuck between a rock and a hard place. Not even the mighty Nvidia Shield can sort this out as it runs the tv variant of android.

Finally, my questions:

1. Does anybody know why I can't run TV Mosaic on my non standard Nexus Players ?
2. Does anybody know of a client that can run all of my chosen programs well ?
3. Does anybody in the EU want 4 x Nexus Players running Lineage 15.1 OS ?

Thanks for reading all of this folks. It's good to get it off of my chest :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Tim
TV-Mosaic | Emby | TBS 6280 Dual T/T2 | TBS 5990 Dual S/S2 | HomeSeer HS3 Pro | Blue Iris CCTV |

Maverickz

Re: New client hardware required for TV Mosaic

Post by Maverickz » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:50 am

I have never used a Nexus player but I know they have been around a while. What version of Android TV are yours running? That could be part of the crashing issue if the OS is too old. Also nearly any normal Android app can be sideloaded on Android TV. If you sideload an app though, you may need to use an air mouse to click things.

If you know how to sideload apps and are looking for something good and cheap I use Amazon Fire TV boxes for my needs but I don't use all of those apps you listed.

Homer

Post by Homer » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:00 pm

Hi, they are running Lineage OS 15.1 which is a third party android version of 8.1 Oreo. I think the reason is a lack of memory rather than the OS.
TV-Mosaic | Emby | TBS 6280 Dual T/T2 | TBS 5990 Dual S/S2 | HomeSeer HS3 Pro | Blue Iris CCTV |

Maverickz

Post by Maverickz » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:23 am

Homer wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:00 pm
Hi, they are running Lineage OS 15.1 which is a third party android version of 8.1 Oreo. I think the reason is a lack of memory rather than the OS.
Sorry for the delay in response.

You have two options as I see it. Get Android TV boxes (Shield, Mi Box, etc.) and side load the non-TV based Android apps, OR get non-TV based Android boxes (many cheap ones on Amazon). You will likely need a remote that has a mouse function to operate the non-TV based apps.

Are you ok with side loading apps?
What is your total budget to replace all 4 boxes?

Homer

Post by Homer » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:32 pm

Hi Maverickz,

Budget isn't really a consideration, I just want to be able to run all of my programs, and show a standard interface to the Missus. I looked up the Mi box, and saw many people complaining that they keep rebooting. That's no good, as the Nexus Players don't do that at all ! I have today bought a Nvidia Shield, and it works with TVMosaic, so that's that one sorted. I still think it is lack of memory on the Nexus Players, so they are off to Ebay next :lol:

Sideloading should be a cinch after getting Lineage OS onto the Nexus Players. I've not done sideloading for a few years, but I'm sure I will figure it out.

Thanks for the help,I'm off to play :arrow:

Maverickz

Post by Maverickz » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:50 am

I am sure you will love the shield. I have one and it's an amazing piece of tech. Good luck.

Homer

Post by Homer » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:10 am

Yes, the shield works with everything, and then came Amazon Prime day.....

Four half price Fire TV 4k sticks later, and I'm well sorted 8-)

They also work with everything that I need, and were only £25 each :shock:

Now to watch some tv to make it all worthwhile !