Recordings Stop At Wrong Time

TVMosaic live and recorded TV products for Desktop/NAS/Raspbery Pi
Tony_in_Phx

Recordings Stop At Wrong Time

Post by Tony_in_Phx » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:42 pm

Guru's on the forum, I need assistance.

My Synology 214+ that works with an Intel I5 NUC on my TV has acquired a habit since an upgrade from DVBLogic to TV Mosaic. The NAS will record the program established in the TV Timer rules in Kodi partially and then just stop. When looking at the list of recordings, it will show the correct amount of time recorded (106 minutes), when playing the recording it will initially show, say 13 minutes total recorded on an hour show, play as much as 39 minutes (not the 13 minutes the show shows it has) and then it will kick the user out to the main menu of all recordings. The attached log file is from TV Mosaic, the program that was recorded wrong was 10/5/18 at 10:35 PM to 11:41 PM, usually is a total 1 hour and six minutes (1 minute extra at the beginning, 5 minutes extra at the end).

Thanks!

Tony_in_Phx
Attachments
tvmosaic-log-20181006-1525.zip
log file with info setting
(124.77 KiB) Downloaded 3 times

Oberon

Re: Recordings Stop At Wrong Time

Post by Oberon » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:25 am

This effect usually happens if stream stops (and sometimes resumes) one or several times during recording. Recorder itself is not aware if the actual stream comes in. It keeps counting the duration independently of the stream presence.

So, the real question is why stream stops coming in.

I have seen that TVMosaic scans EPG on the seconds hdhr tuner during the recording. There was a comparable issue message somewhere on the forums and the resolution was that hdhr firmware has to be updated to the latest available version.
It can also be that something else (some other software) has taken control of the hdhr at that time.
Last but not least, please make sure that ip lease time on your router is set to a large value, or, even better, given hdhr static IP assignment at the router.

Tony_in_Phx

Post by Tony_in_Phx » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:24 pm

Oh great guru of all things TV PVR! Thank you for the counsel!

The main website for Silicon Dust, maker of HD HomeRun, does not directly address firmware. A Google search reveals that there is a special web address for firmware updates, you just have to load their Windows or Mac software to secure it. My router, Netgear, does not allow the user to tinker with the lease time for IP, it defaults to one day and renews itself sometime during the middle of the 24 hour lease. My HD Homerun was on a dedicated or static IP assignment from the router, so that is not the issue. It is worth the time to establish the TV Tuner with a static address for you never know when you might lose power. A huge hassle if you have to re-establish a relationship between the NAS and the TV tuner with a new IP address!

I am running tests with the new firmware update by recording tons of video by timer to see if it will consistently record the entire TV show. So far, two out of 6 failed the test, both failed at about the same time. I will review of all the software on the NAS to see if it auto updated at 2 AM when the failure occurred. I will follow up later this week with an update.

Thank you for your timely suggestions!

daurora58

Post by daurora58 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:40 pm

Just type in: my.hdhomerun.com in your browser address bar.

You will see your turner(s) and there will be an indication to update your firmware; if it is out of date.

The lastest HDHomeRun Firmware is: Release 20180817

You can always check the changelog at: https://www.silicondust.com/support/dow ... changelog/

This should help you.

Daurora

Tony_in_Phx

Post by Tony_in_Phx » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:36 pm

It worked!

Updated the firmware on the HD HomeRun TV tuner, then went to the NAS and found some of the software was in "auto-update" mode, changed those settings to "manual".

Tony_in_phx